Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Healthmonth.com

This great new "game" on the web was created by Buster Benson out in Seattle, WA.  He has harnessed the powers of the web to provide a great way for people to quickly and easily stay committed to their health goals.  You can have as much or as little interaction as you desire.   I've been playing it since the beginning of this month and am happy to say I have definitely been drinking more water, eating more greens and getting more exercise.   I am so thrilled as I am definitely not motivated to exercise when the temperature starts to drop and I tend to stay indoors a lot.  As I'm not much for downhill skiing like lots of other New England sailors and people I know, this is huge!  An added bonus is that I am even making new friends as I have started to walk with a friend and her dog and the other "dog ladies" who walk on the beach every day, which is great fun.  This could even help with my new "dog walking business" if I ever get around to starting it, in between job hunting for a "real job".  Not even to mention all the Vitamin D I am getting from the sunshine.  It is also much more fun for me than usual in the winter when it is time to get on my scale and look at those numbers! 

Healthmonth takes about 5 minutes to set up the first time and is very easy.  After that, it only takes about 30 seconds a day to "check in" and report how you are doing.  The game gives you points or takes them away, depending at how good you are at following "your rules", which are the goals you set for yourself for the month.   People from all over the world are playing it which adds to the fun; right now there are  about 4,500 players.

Next month, I have to decide if I will stay with 3 rules again, or jump in and pay a whopping $5.00 a month (or $50.00 annual) membership fee and do as many rules as I want.  I figure that I do lots of the rules already, so I might as well do this and get tons of points.   Another obsession, but a good one and it's helping me get ready for sailing season, so what could be better?!?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your new blog. Health is the number one ongoing priority for 40% of Baby Boomers, as well as sustainability. One in five Boomers can be described as belonging to the consumer lifestyle segment entitled LOHAS -- Lifestyles of Health & Sustainability. You can learn more about this segment and growing importance of "conscience consumerism" by visiting this link on my blog: http://bit.ly/4xawzQ.

    ReplyDelete